At the beginning of the asparagus season, we have selected a very special asparagus recipe for you. The lively orange flavors of the Maltaise sauce harmonize wonderfully with the subtle and delicate taste of the green asparagus. Simple but perfect!
- 2 kg of green asparagus
- Zest and juice of 3 blood oranges
- 6 egg yolks
- 300 grams of butter
- Salt (preferably Sel fin de Guérande)
- white pepper (Poivre blanc du Caméroun "Moungo")
- Peel the asparagus if necessary.
- Cut off the tough ends and tie into bundles.
- Dip the asparagus bundles in the boiling water, keeping the asparagus heads out of the water.
- Let the asparagus simmer for 10 minutes.
- Briefly quench the asparagus in cold water and then drain.
- In a saucepan, combine the zest of the oranges with 2 tablespoons of water, then add the egg yolks.
- The pot is not yet on the stove. Mix well.
- Place the pot in a water bath and slowly heat the mixture.
- Stir constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Gradually add the butter in small pieces.
- then pour in the orange juice.
- Beat the sauce vigorously with a whisk so that all the ingredients mix well and you get a velvety-creamy consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a sauce boat and serve warm with the asparagus.